The building of St Luke’s Church, known as the ‘Dream Church’, began in 1936 but due to the outbreak of war, the building was not completed and consecrated until 1963. The dreamer was the Reverend William Keble Martin (author of the famous book “The concise British Flora in Colour”) who dreamt with extraordinary vividness of a crowded evening service at Milber Church which had been built and which was of a most unusual design. The architect was Keble Martin’s brother Arthur Martin in London, a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
The church was designed and built with three naves radiating from the sanctuary which are linked together by double arcades enabling every member of the congregation to obtain an unimpeded view of the altar, and thus emphasise the sacramental nature of Christian worship.
Having no chancel, the design showed a complete departure from tradition and a marked change from those churches where a screen divides the clergy and choir from the congregation. In this design congregation is brought right up to the sanctuary and the people themselves become the immediate worshippers.
Photographs of St Luke's Church